Sunday, September 11, 2011

Views on drugs and alcohol

This is a topic I have very strong feelings about. Due to a crazy weekend that resulted in me writing this blog post a day late I'm going to keep it quick and honest. My overall belief is that you shouldn't harm your body purposefully but does that mean I'm going to stop eating cake? no.

Drugs- I feel this category is to wide to give one feeling about all. I don't do drugs. I have done drugs. I grew up in a drug filled home. I choose not to do drugs because I want to set a good example for my daughter. If you do drugs thats okay with me as long as its not around my daughter and you don't put others lives in danger. The problem is most people don't realize when their actions put others in danger.

Alcohol- I don't like drunk people. I was once a person who would get drunk and I don't anymore. Will I occasionally enjoy some wine? yes. I like the way it tastes. However I know my body and I know that one glass of wine every few months doesn't affect me negatively.

I have had many experiences in my life that have dealt with both extremes, alcoholics and hard drug addicts and it has been in my life since before I left my mothers womb. This doesn't make me an expert but I feel like I have many perspectives, the child, sister, girlfriend, granddaughter, niece, cousin, and user. I have never been scared for my life when around people under the influence of drugs, I have more times than I can count with people under the influence of alcohol. I have had more  friends and family members die of alcohol related deaths than all other drugs combined, and zero die from anything marijuana related. I am not someone that feels marijuana should be legal but I do think that law makers should take a serious look at the statistics and consider why they continue to allow one person to die in an alcohol related car crash every 50 minutes. If you want to see your states alcohol related death statistics go here.

Well those are my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment